“Chocolate Frogs have cards, inside them, you know, to collect – famous witches and wizards. I’ve got about five hundred, but I haven’t got Agrippa or Ptolemy.” –Ron Weasley (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, J.K. Rowling)
That first experience Harry has on the Hogwarts Express is so cute. He’s starting to learn all about this world he’s never experienced before and meeting a new friend on his way to his new school (and, essentially, new life). And there the trolley comes and all these snacks and treats are introduced. It’s just such an adorable, innocent and probably delicious moment.
Make your own chocolate frogs!
If you’re hosting a Harry Potter party, chocolate frogs are a must! You might even want to keep them around as a snack, because these little guys are as cute as they are tasty! They’re quick and easy to make. Give them a try!
What You’ll Need:
- melting chocolate, chopped or chips (I used milk chocolate)
- microwave-safe bowl
- frog candy mold
- chocolate thermometer (optional)
- Pour about 2/3 of your chocolate into your bowl and pop it into the microwave on high for 30 seconds. Take it out and stir.
- Put the chocolate back in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time, stirring between each, until the chocolate is smooth and melted.
- Fold the remaining solid chocolate into the bowl of melted chocolate and keep stirring until smooth again.
- Carefully spoon the chocolate into your mold one at a time.
- Let the chocolate cool and harden.
- Pop the frogs out of the mold once completely cooled.
Note: You may want to purchase more than one mold, to make the process faster and easier. If you’re working with just one, heat only about the amount of chocolate it looks like you’ll need for one mold at a time. Heating and reheating the chocolate won’t work well, so just repeat the melting process for each mold until you’ve made the amount of frogs you want!
I served my frogs on a small piece of parchment paper and set them on a large tray. Be careful that they don’t leap away!
What snack from Harry Potter has the most appeal for you?