We’re shortly approaching Harry Potter’s (and J.K. Rowling’s) birthday on July 31! With all the 20th anniversary buzz still going around and the Wizarding World Book Club, I’m in the mood to keep celebrating! I’ll likely be posting a few other Harry Potter things in the run up to his birthday, but I thought it’d be nice to start with a tribute to Hagrid’s birthday gift to little 11 year old Harry, his trusted friend and owl, Hedwig.
“Harry now carried a large cage that held a beautiful snowy owl, fast asleep with her head under her wing. He couldn’t stop stammering his thanks, sounding just like Professor Quirrell.”
I love this moment. First, it’s yet another example of the wonderful heart that Hagrid possesses. But it’s also a quick look at the relationship Harry develops with Hedwig. Her sleeping soundly while being carried by him suggests a certain trust and rapport that they seem to build right from the start.
“Harry kept to his room, with his new owl for company. He had decided to call her Hedwig, a name he had found in A History of Magic. His school books were very interesting. He lay on his bed reading late into the night, Hedwig swooping in and out of the open window as she pleased.”
These Hedwig nails are absolutely adorable and fairly easy to do. Keep reading for the directions below!
- base coat
- white nail polish
- grey nail polish
- black nail polish
- yellow nail polish
- small brush, stylus and/or toothpick
- top coat
- After your base coat is dry, paint on however many layers of your white polish you need to get a smooth and opaque white base. This will obviously serve as Hedwig’s body.
- Once dry, use your small brush or stylus and the grey polish to paint on the wings and a few feathers on her stomach.
- Hedwig has bright yellow eyes, so paint two small dots near the top with the stylus.
- Using the black polish and stylus, paint two smaller dots in the center of the dry yellow polish to give her pupils. Add a short, vertical black line between and slightly below them to serve as her beak.
- Once everything is dry (give it a good while; black polish LOVES to bleed into white), give yourself a generous top coat to smooth everything out.
Now if only they would deliver my Hogwarts letter! How are you celebrating Harry’s birthday? What’s your favorite Hedwig moment?