Amortentia. A powerful love potion. We first run across it in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince when Professor Slughorn is having his students identify a group of potions he’s brewed. Let’s head down to the potions classroom and listen in…
“It’s the most powerful love potion in the world!” said Hermione.
“Quite right! You recognized it, I suppose, by its distinctive mother-of-pearl sheen?”
“And the steam rising in characteristic spirals,” said Hermione enthusiastically, “and it’s supposed to smell differently to each of us, according to what attracts us, and I can smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and–“
Professor Slughorn goes on to warn his students that it’s perhaps the most dangerous potion of all, but you don’t have too much to worry about with this version. Since Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, I thought it’d be the perfect time to make your own supply for your potions cupboard! Read on for instructions and links to buy some ingredients. 🙂
What You’ll Need
- clear alcohol of choice
- edible pearl dust
- food/drink flavoring of choice (optional)
- dry ice (optional)
- Start with getting your drink poured into your container of choice. Use hard alcohol of your choice for something stronger or sweet white wine for something tame you can sip on. A combo of the two (I suggest vodka and moscato) would also work! You can even use water if you’re not a drinker or just want to use it as decoration.
- I chose to assemble mine as little shots in these tiny potion bottles. You might consider assembling yours in a larger potion bottle that you could pour out of or even in a cauldron with dry ice, to get those curls of “steam” for a Harry Potter party. If you do decide to make the mini shots, you might give them out to some friends on Valentine’s Day!
- The secret to getting the mother-of-pearl sheen is edible pearl dust! It’ll turn any liquid pearly and glittery. Just pour a tiny bit into the beverage you’ve chosen and swirl it around to mix. It’s very inexpensive, but it doesn’t take much of the pearl dust to get the right look and you can always add more, so start small!
- If you want to keep your Amortentia as it is, great! If you want to get a little more creative, make it smell like what attracts you (or whoever you’re giving it to) by adding a tiny dash of flavoring. Just make sure the color isn’t too strong so as not to take away from the pearly effect. Consider adding some vanilla for a baked goods scent, almond or anything else that’s edible and appeals to you! I hope I don’t need to say this, but do NOT ingest perfume or anything not intended for consumption.
That’s it! Pretty simple, right? Don’t forget to drink responsibly. This love potion may not cause obsession with someone, but it can still be highly intoxicating!